Reconstruction of Salt-Bodies in Seismic Full-Waveform Inversion
The interior of the earth can be imaged using seismic waves by solving a non-linear inverse problem. Such images are the main tool for locating oil and gas reservoirs in geologically complex areas. Of special interest are subsurface salt bodies, as reservoirs are often found next to or underneath them. Resolving such salt bodies is challenging and new techniques are needed to obtain better images of the structures beneath the salt. We aim to develop such techniques by including prior information in the reconstruction; salt bodies are continuous objects with (known) constant properties. The reconstruction of such objects is the subject of discrete tomography, and effective algorithms have been developed for linear inverse problems in tomography. Generalizing these techniques to non-linear problems, we can obtain more accurate estimates of the shape of the salt bodies and the properties of the earth layers beneath them.
The Project is funded by Industrial Collaboration of the Foundation for Fundamental Research on Matter (NWO-FOM) and Shell. It is a part of Industrial Partnership Program (IPP) ‘Computational Sciences for Energy Research.’
- Non-linear inverse problems
- Level-set methods
- Seismic Full-Waveform inversion
- Dimensionality Reduction
- Meta-Heuristic Optimization
- Ajinkya Kadu, Tristan van Leeuwen, Wim Mulder
Salt Reconstruction in Full Waveform Inversion with a Parametric Level-Set Method
IEEE Transactions on Computational Imaging (TCI), 2017.
Ajinkya Kadu, Tristan van Leeuwen, K. Joost Batenburg
A parametric level-set method for partially discrete tomography
International Conference on Discrete Geometry for Computer Imagery (DGCI), 2017.
Ajinkya Kadu*, Wim Mulder, Tristan van Leeuwen
Parametric Level-Set Full-Waveform Inversion in the Presence of Salt-Bodies
Society of Exploration Geophysics (SEG) Annual Meeting, 2017.
Ajinkya Kadu, Tristan van Leeuwen, Wim Mulder
A parametric level-set approach for seismic full-waveform inversion
Society of Exploration Geophysics (SEG) Technical Program Expanded Abstracts, 2016.
- Tristan van Leeuwen, Ajinkya Kadu, Wim Mulder
Geometric Imaging for Subsurface Salt Bodies
European Research Consortium Informatics & Mathematics (ERCIM) News
For many decades, seismic studies have been providing useful images of subsurface layers and formations. The need for more accurate characterization of complex geological structures from increasingly large data volumes requires advanced mathematical techniques and high performance algorithms.
Activities - Conferences, Workshop, etc
- Houston Imaging Sciences Symposium, Houston, TX, USA - October 2 & 3, 2017
- SEG Annual Meeting, Houston, TX, USA - Sep 24 to 29, 2017
- 20th International Conference on Discrete Geometry for Computer Imagery, Vienna, Austria - Sep 19 to 21, 2017
- SIAM Conference on Mathematical and Computational Issues in Geosciences, Erlangen, Germany - Sep 11 to 14, 2017
- Bayesian and Nonlinear Inverse Problems Workshop, Lorentz Center, Leiden, Netherlands - Aug 28 to Sep 1, 2017
- SIAM Workshop on Parameter Space Dimension Reduction, Pittsburgh, PA, USA - July 9 & 10, 2017
- SIAM Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, USA - July 10 to 14, 2017
- NDNS+ Workshop, Twente, Netherlands - June 12 & 13, 2017
- NDNS+ PhD Days 2017, Lunteren, Netherlands
- Utrecht SIAM Student Chapter talk, Utrecht, Netherlands
- INdAM MATHTECH Workshop on Biomedical Imaging 2017, Rome, Italy
- Biweekly Tomomeeting, Computational Imaging Group, Centrum Wiskunde Informatica, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- SIGMA Conference, CIRM Marseille, France
- SEG Annual Meeting 2016, Dallas, Texas
- Computational Sciences for Future Energy Conference 2016, Utrecht, Netherlands
- Forty-First Woudschoten Conference 2016, Zeist, Netherlands
- Conference on Multiscale Inverse Problem 2016, Loka Brunn, Sweden
- NDNS Workshop 2016, Enschede, Netherlands
- Mini-Symposium on Seismic Imaging 2016, Delft, Netherlands
- SLIM Seismic Seminar 2016, Vancouver, Canada
- Fortieth Woudschoten Conference 2015, Zeist, Netherlands
- Summer School on Inverse Problems 2015, Munster, Germany
Upcoming Events and Conferences
Here is a list of all the courses I have taken, both during graduate and undergraduate studies.